With a global portfolio of over 100 unique wine and spirits brands, we are the largest family-owned winery in the world. Apply Today! Our Brands. Your Future.
HARVEST LABORATORY INTERNSHIP PROGRAM (5-6 MONTHS)
Application Deadline: November 29, 2020
* LOUIS MARTINI WINERY (St. Helena, CA) * THE RANCH WINERY (St. Helena, CA) * COURTSIDE WINERY (San Miguel, CA) * EDNA VALLEY VINEYARD (San Luis Obispo, CA) * ASTI WINERY (Cloverdale, CA) * GALLO OF SONOMA (Healdsburg, CA) * J VINEYARDS & WINERY (Healdsburg, CA) * WILLIAM HILL ESTATE (Napa, CA) *
Premium Winemaking Description
E. & J. Gallo Winery owns and operates over ten premium wineries across California and in Washington, producing brands such as Louis M. Martini, William Hill, Apothic, Edna Valley, Talbott, Frei Brothers, Columbia, Souverain, and Gallo Signature Series. We value teamwork, innovative problem solving, and integrity. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to support production from grape to wine in beautiful wine country.
Founded by brothers Ernest and Julio Gallo in 1933 in Modesto, California, E. & J. Gallo Winery is the world’s largest family-owned winery and the acclaimed producer of award-winning wines and spirits featured in more than 90 countries around the globe. A pioneer in the art of grape growing, winemaking, sustainable practices, marketing and worldwide distribution, Gallo crafts and imports wines and spirits to suit a diverse range of tastes and occasions, from everyday offerings to boutique, luxury bottlings.
The Harvest Laboratory Internship Program is searching for qualified candidates to fill fourteen 5-6 month positions (approximately July through December). Our harvest lab interns will have the opportunity to interface with all levels of the company, including production, laboratory and winemaking staff in a fast-paced, dynamic working environment. The intern’s essential functions include, but are not limited to (varies by location):
• Assist in lab blends, fining trials, monitoring wine health, and sampling.
• Execute daily analysis (including yeast and bacteria, Brix, Alcohol, pH, TA, Free & Total SO2, RS, ML, VA, NH3 and NOPA) on grapes, juice and wine in our analytical laboratory.
• Sample tanks and barrels to aid in monitoring fermentations.
• Complete a project to learn about a specific aspect of winemaking and drive improvements at the winery.
• High school diploma or State-issued equivalency certificate.
• Currently enrolled at a college or university and working towards OR have obtained a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in College of Life Science, College of Agriculture or College of Engineering.
• Required to lift and move up to 45 lbs.
• Required to climb fixed stairs with handrails and vertical ladders with hoop cages to a height of 40 feet.
• Required to be 21 years of age or older.
• Experience computing mathematical formulas and basic computer skills.
• The position requires availability to work evenings, weekends and holidays when necessary.
• Strong verbal, written, analytical and interpersonal skills.
• Junior or Senior class standing at a college or university and working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Fermentation Science, Plant Science, Enology, Food Science, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Molecular Bioscience, Biology, Viticulture, Biological Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Winemaking or Chemistry.
• Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and teamwork skills.
• Classroom experience with standard wine analytical techniques.
• Areas of knowledge would include general lab experience with pH meters, titrations, and lab-ware.
• Experience with Microsoft Office and database systems (LIMS).
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• During crush, work estimated at 15% - 50% (but not limited to) outside w/ weather of varying types.
• Wet/Slippery conditions vary and may include work in rain.
• Required to lift and move up to 45 lbs.
• Occasionally required to work at elevated heights and in small spaces.
• Must be able to climb fixed stairs with handrails and vertical ladders with hoop cages to a height of 40 feet.
• Noise levels may vary. Occasional situations where ear protection is required.
Gallo does not sponsor for employment based visas for this position now or in the future.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Gallo will consider all qualified applicants for employment, including those with criminal histories, consistent with the requirements of applicable law.